Beta Pi Omega: 1937 - Today
Beta Pi Omega is the local Alumni Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated®, in Little Rock, Arkansas. This chapter was organized in Little Rock on March 13, 1937 with eleven women as Charter Members: Roberta B. Bell, Eva Richmond Hall, Ruth Gilliam, H.S. Tillinghurst, Hazel A. Campbell, Geneva N. Harris, Alice B. Perry, Gwendolyn M. Floyd, Sara Hubble, Eloise B. Smith, and Henrietta M. Yancey.
On April 14, 1940, Beta Pi Omega Chapter sponsored the chartering of Gamma Alpha Chapter on the campus of Philander Smith College. Epsilon Phi Chapter was chartered on October 24, 1970, at the University of Arkansas at Little Rock. In 1982, the Regional Director, Mamie McKnight, asked Beta Pi Omega to sponsor Theta Mu Chapter at the University of Central Arkansas because of the chapter’s close proximity to Conway, Arkansas. Theta Mu was chartered February 24, 1974 by South Central Regional Director, Mary Louise Williams, a Golden and Life Member of Beta Pi Omega.
Members known as “Golden Girls” have been members of Alpha Kappa Alpha for fifty or more years. Members known as “Silver Stars” have been members for twenty-five years or more. Life members have also been members for more than 25 years and have elected to make a lump sum payment for lifetime dues to the International Office. Beta Pi Omega has a number of members in each of the various categories of membership.